Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I love doing surprise cakes!

I am baking a fabulous cake for a lady's surprise tomorrow. It will be 4 layers of divine chocolate cake, with 3 layers of coconut filling, kind of like a mounds bar. All crumb coated in Sour Cream Ganache, the iced with French Buttercream.

This lady is actually a gifted cake artist herself, so I am pulling out all the stops! There will be pink roses, purple hydrangeas, bluebells, lily of the valley...something yellow too, not sure what yet. I will post a picture when the cake is done.

It's her 40th birthday. A wonderful milestone! I have never been crazy about doing "Over the Hill" cakes, with tombstones etc. Too negative! I take a more positive approach. I have the front of the cake be negative, drab looking, with little signs that say Bills, career worries, cranky babies... whatever is appropriate to the cake's honoree. Then, at the top of the cake, a big 40! all prettied up, and on the back of the cake, flowers everywhere, and the signs are about pleasurable things, like their hobbies, happy life events, retirement, and then at the base, their ultimate dream, whatever that is. Often, it's a golf green!

Much nicer way to celebrate 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment